SALOMON as one of the Leading Running Shoe Brands
Salomon was established in 1947 in the French Alps and since then it has become well known for a wide range of products including running shoes. While the company first gained prominence for their ski equipment, their shoes became known as well for their innovations, comfort and versatility. The same precision and dedication that the company brings to their hiking can also be seen in their footwear and other running gear solutions.
A good example of that is the Salomon Men’s XR Mission Running Shoe, which has set itself apart from the rest because of its unique features. These shoes have a lot of features that make it stand out from the rest, and we’re going to go over each one. As you might expect, these shoes are meant for long term use, but there’s more to it.
- Sensiflex and Sensifit Technologies: the XR manages to be both light and flexible thanks to the Salomon Sensiflex and Sensifit technologies, which combined provides a smooth movement whether it’s the trail or the road. These technologies also make it ideal for short to medium running.
When you’re out running on trails and rough roads, the XR delivers and keeps your feet comfortable even if you’re wearing the shoes for the first time. With the Sensiflex and Sensifit technology built in, you’ll be able to run with more stability. A common problem with most running shoes is they often compromise with the weight or flexibility, but that’s not going to be a problem here.
In addition, the Sensifit technology does a great job in cradling your upper instep so there’s a more secure and accurate fitting. With this feature the shoes provide a natural rolling movement that leads to superior lateral support.
- Contagrip Outsole: the Sensiflex technology improves stretching of the forefoot and allows for greater foot expansion, and the large tendon allows for a better transition at the heel strike to the toes. The design leads to higher energy returns, but in addition to this, the XR Chevron Contagrip tread allows you to go forward rapidly.
Unlike other shoes however, the XR Mission has superior traction so you don’t slip even when you’re walking or running on a slippery slope. The XR also has a protective cap that further ensures a secure foothold no matter how you run. The foot bed on the XR also provides your feet with cushion foam, essential for support and minimizing friction.
There’s also EVA in the shoes so when you run, your heel doesn’t get battered. One more thing should be mentioned, and it’s the Quicklace System allows you to lace the shoes with a single pull.
- Comfortable: this is what it all comes down to in the end, and the XR Mission delivers. The shoes are breathable and don’t wear you out even when worn on a regular basis.
- There is very good cushion: as has been detailed in the features section, the XR Mission has significant cushioning that keeps your feet from hurting.
- The support isn’t too hard or soft, but just right.
- Durable: as one reviewer has noted, the XR can be worn for hundreds of hours without wear or tear
- The Quicklace System works very well
- Stylish enough to be worn on an everyday basis
- The XR Mission fits very well for people with foot injuries and ailments like plantar fasciitis. This is possible due to the high level of cushion provided by the shoes.
- The XR Mission sizes are a bit small compared to other shoes, so you need to go one size bigger when you buy
- Some customers have expressed dissatisfaction with the hourglass design because the midfoot is bit too tight
- Some customers feel the heel and toes are not tight enough
- Some runners feel the tab on the rear is a bit too high and rubs the tendon, but this is rarely reported
Overall the Salomon Men’s XR Mission is a well made shoe that should meet the needs of runners everywhere. There is just the right amount of support and cushion to keep your feet and heels protected, and the quality is superb. Salomon has manufactured a lot of good products, and this is one of their best.
There are other great Salomon shoes you might want to check out for affordability, functionality and best Amazon reviews: